Sunday, February 3, 2013

28 January 2013

Kjære familie og venner

My companions all get a kick out of the weekly "20 questions" game my Dad likes to play. Here's this weeks edition.

"How did transfers go? How are you settling in with Elder Rasmussen? Tell us about him….where is he from, about his family (brothers and sisters), what does he think about Kristiansand? What was his last area and how did he like it? What was his favorite area served so far? What branch of military service is he in? How long has he been in the military? What is his military specialty? Although I have never asked this before of any of your companions, what is his favorite quote? Last, but not least, what does he think about having YOU as a companion?? (ie: troublesome, trial and tribulation or joy with whom to serve)" 

Well I'll try to answer them all. Transfers went great. He missed his plane out of Oslo so I ended up chilling at the airport by myself for about 10 hours. Pretty much slept in the car the whole time. We're settling in fantastic. He is from Salt Lake, he's got 2 younger brothers and a younger sister, a ton of step siblings, and a half brother and I think he likes Kristiansand. His last area was Drammen and he seemed to enjoy it. Drammen was the city where I stayed in the hospital so he and his companion actually came and played monopoly with me while I was in there. He says he has favorite things from each area, but his favorite city was in Bergen, his favorite ward was in Drammen, his best transfer was in Tønsberg, and his favorite P-day was in Romerike. He's in the Army Reserves. Been in for 2 1/2 years before the mission. He's considering ROTC. He is a Humvee mechanic. Doesn't remember the MOS. His favorite quote is "Death does not come after your last breath it comes after the last memory of you is lost." He thinks having me is a companion is awesome. We were in the same district in Bergen and it's nice for him to be with someone who is familiar with missionary work and the language and can back him up as a senior companion. He really said that...

I'm not sure why President wanted me as a junior companion this transfer. He didn't say anything about it to me. I'm assuming it's because Rasmussen is a younger guy on the mission who just got done training for the first time. That was only his first transfer being a senior companion, so I assume that President Evans wanted to keep him going as a senior...no reason for me to be senior just cause I'm going home soon. So I think it's for Elder Rasmussen to get some more experience as a senior and maybe he wants to humble me or something haha I dunno. 

We have Gospel Essentials somewhat periodically on Sundays. It's taught by our Ward mission leader when we have it.

We had two investigators in church yesterday. Nicole, who is the fiancee to a less active guy that we are meeting with. And Jørgen who is friends with a member. We're not really teaching Jørgen at this point...he hasn't shown a whole lot of interest, he just kind of showed up to church yesterday. He comes to activities in the Young Adult center every week. 

We were out knocking on doors last night. It was pouring rain after having snowed for two days so everything was wet and slushy. We were soaked. We had a couple of people who asked us to come back later this week but not much else other than that. After an hour and a half of this, we knocked on a door of a lady who said she wasn't too interested but she invited us in to warm up. So that was kinda nice. We had a nice discussion over wine glasses filled with coke about the Church. She's a religion teacher at a middle school here so she was interested to hear from the Mormons what the Mormons believe. We left a Book of Mormon with her and her daughter and told her to call us if we could give a presentation to her school class about the Church...something I've done before. They weren't interested in any return appointment, and I'm not too optimistic that we'll see them again, but we'll see what happens. She has our number =)

That's all folks!
Elder Sessions

No comments:

Post a Comment