Monday, December 10, 2012

26 November 2012

Kjære familie og venner

Transfer weeks are always really long. Especially when you move. I think it's cause suddenly you realize you are in a different city, in a different part of the country, around different people, and a different dialect...It seems as though your previous area was an eternity away, when really you were there only 4 days ago. It feels like literally forever since I wrote my last emails in Oslo.

Kristiansand. I'm really diggin this city. It's waaay smaller than Oslo in every way, which is a little weird for me. So that is taking some getting used to, but I think the changes are good, overall haha. Preparation day has been a lot quieter as well, without 8 missionaries running around here. There's a ton of WW2 history in this area though. Today, we visited the only surviving Gestapo headquarters in Norway. That was kind of interesting. The building, which is right down the street from our Young Adult center in the city, was the torture chamber and prison for Norwegian resistance members who were arrested by the Nazis. Norwegians are very proud of the role they played in WW2, for good reason. The German army completely demolished the country when they first invaded, with the Government only escaping by a matter of hours to London. From that point in 1940 until the end of the war, the Norwegians ran the best organized resistance efforts in their own country, without any real assistance from other Allied forces. They were a little preoccupied elsewhere, obviously =) There's a ton of other bunkers and old things around this area which I'm pretty stoked to check out.

As for investigators here, there are a ton of names of people that I haven't been able to meet yet. So not sure how positive I'm willing to say those people are. All of our appointments with our "progressing investigators" have fallen through, so I'm a little bummed about that. Apparently they were progressing a lot more before I got to the city haha. Hopefully we can get some appointments with them this week though and figure out where we want to go with them. A couple sound like they might be ready for baptism in the next little while, but that'll be hard if we can't meet with them.

One guy we met on my first night here out in the city was pretty cool. His name is Adam, he's from Bosnia. We talked to him on the street and then he invited us over to his place a couple of night later. He's got a muslim background, even though he's pretty much Norwegian...he's spent most of his life here. The appointment went really well. We talked a lot about prophets with him and he seemed intrigued by the concept of a modern day prophet...provided he really is a prophet of course haha. So he was pretty willing to start reading in the Book of Mormon and praying about it. He invited us to come back some time and he mentioned that his wife might be interested in sitting in next time as well. So we're excited for that, although he'll be busy with exams the next couple of weeks, so we'll just be keeping contact with him over email.

After all this....I'm turning 21 tomorrow. Honestly haven't thought about it that much, haha. I definitely don't feel that old though. The only thing it really means for me right now I guess, is that I officially don't have a military ID card anymore. 1st time since I was 10. So that's a little sad haha. Other than that, I don't really feel like there's gonna be that much of a difference for me. Tomorrow will be a day just like any other =P

Have a good week everyone!
Elder Sessions

No comments:

Post a Comment