Monday, March 26, 2012

Vi bestemmer selv ("We decide")


Below is an article published in a local Norwegian newspaper (NRK) based on interviews NRK writer Marta Hedenstad conducted of Elder Bekker and Elder Sessions. The article is translated below but can be found along with an associated video at the following link. Above is the photo published with the article:

http://p3.no/dokumentar/skuter-karsk-og-kristus/#Mormonere

"It has helped me very much in my life. It has given me a lot of purpose and joy. I have faith in God who has given me hope for a better world.

All over the world there are young men and women who have traveled from their home country to share their teachings of their personal faith with others on missions. For Mormons missions are important, and some of them will come to Norway.

Elder William Bekker comes from Salt Lake City, Utah, USA. He is a Mormon and traveled to Norway almost a year ago to proselytize.

Elder David Sessions, who is from Virginia, came to Norway as well as Elder Bekker. Together they tour the streets of Trondheim and tell people about God and the Book of Mormon.

We think the message we have is important, so we go out to share it with others, says Elder Bekker.

Mission Call

Mormons believe that today's Christianity has slipped away from the church as it was when Jesus Christ created it. In 1820, however, Jesus Christ began to restore His Church through the Prophet Joseph Smith who also translated the Book of Mormon by the power of God.

Being a Mormon is not that different from being a Christian. Other common faithful Christians go to church and believe in God. It's the same with us, says Elder Sessions.

The main difference is perhaps the mission. To proselytize is a very important part of the Mormon faith, even more so than it is in the "normal" Christianity.

We decide whether we want to go out on a mission or not. We are not forced. I wanted to go to tell others how I feel and what has helped me in my life, says Elder Bekker. He loves living in Norway.

I like the food. Also, I like the people here. People here are smart and friendly, he said. It was scary at first because it was the first time I was home, but it went well. My grandparents came from Norway, and I like to be here, speak Norwegian and chat with other Norwegians, he said.

Elder Sessions distant relatives are also originally from Norway. He thinks Norwegians are much more open to learn from others than Americans are. He thinks it is exciting to talk to people on the streets of Norway.

You meet so many different people. So many different people from other cultures and you learn so much. It's exciting.

Although people are generally friendly, it can be a lonely time for a missionary. Elder Sessions says that sometimes it is hard to be so far away from family. It is good to have someone to turn to.

The hardest part is being away from family, but we know what we do is important. It makes it easier, says Elder Sessions.

Although it can be lonely sometimes, we missionaries are in this together, which really helps. There are six missionaries in Trondheim, which does exactly the same as us, he said.

And we have members here that we really like to help us very much, added Elder Bekker.

Sharing with others strengthens the belief

When one is young it is not always the feeling that the faith they have grown up in is right for them. Elder Sessions felt that feeling before he decided to proselytize.

There was a time that I did not want to go on a mission. I grew up in the church, but I did not believe in God, he says.

Then there was a change in me, when I began to study the Book of Mormon. And the change was big enough that I wanted to share it with others and help them to get the same chance.

When we as missionaries talk to other about what we share, I see the same change in the person. Being able to share it with them brings me great joy.

Elder Bekker says that being a missionary gives him a lot personally. He says it strengthens their own faith when they see others who accept it.

It means so much to us when we see others accept the gospel. It strengthens our testimony."

No comments:

Post a Comment